Monday, July 8, 2013

Looooong flight and Istanbul!

Our 9.5 hour flight from NYC turned into 10.5, but I did manage to sleep. Counting that blessing, because we finally made it to the hotel at 2:30. Class started at 3:30, and we introduced ourselves in a group Circle Up on top of the hotel roof, which happens to have the best view of Istanbul.

I am working with an incredible group of educators. There are so many passionate teachers, and our professors are top notch. Today I already got to use a little of the Turkish I have learned. Besides a little introduction class on the geography of the area and expectations for our study groups (I'm with the Trade and Economy group), we all went to eat at Khorasani, a few blocks from our hotel. We had this delicious smoked and grilled meat kabob, a type of flatbread, salads, appetizer of another small flatbread with a meat that tasted like goat and the sweetest baklava for dessert. Good thing we are doing much walking. :-)

Then we walked down a main street of Istanbul with our prof, Barb. She has been here many times, and is super fun in addition to being an expert. 

Now for the photos of the day, all from my iPhone. Will post some from my SLR camera when I return. 

The Blue Mosque or Sultanhamet Mosque, the most famous in Istanbul, from top of our hotel. 

The Hagia Sofia, which was a Byzantine Christian cathedral then mosque and now a museum. Again, this is the view from the roof and also similar from my room though a lower floor. So stunning. 

Where the meat for our dinner was cooked. It smells amazing here. 
Where we ate dinner. 

Turkish Delight and other scrumptiousness. 


The Constantine Column. You guessed it--dates back to the emporer and once had a statue of him on top. Behind is another mosque. 
Perhaps my favorite photo of the day, the Burger King with the neighboring mosque minaret. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the Haggia Sophia! Looking at the photo and imagining seeing it from your hotel window - I close my eyes and listen to the whispering from the walls. I wonder what those walls that have survived so much turmoil and transition would have to say about faith and love and war and government and people? What do the walls think of today's protests? Do they support "modern" democracy? or are their best days under a different government style? When have they been the "happiest" in their long history under the rule of differing philosophers and philosophies? How amazing to wake to the Haggia Sophia every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also the love the McDonald's reflection in the window. Sad that American's have influenced them by our junk food. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, meant to say something about that. McD's is everywhere. I cannot understand going there with all of this great food here.

    ReplyDelete