Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 9 Islam and Society for the Early Ottomans

First, if you are interested, on some blog posts I have been adding details and photos as I have time. You may want to check back. My days are so busy, that I cannot always post all I want. I have taken many more photos than are on here and will be uploading to a Flickr album when I get home, which I will share. 

Today we are going picnicking.  :-)

Okay, so we ended up picnicking on the bus. More on that later. 

We went to an Ottoman hospital and medical school complex on the edge of Edirne this morning. Fascinating!  Well curated and translated. The Ottoman-care actually resembles Obamacare in that it was to be available for all. The sultans truly wanted this as a service to the poor and needy, and these doctors were very serious and schooled in their practices. 
Barbara talking to us about this complex. These typically have a mosque (though we did not go in this one), courtyard, grave yard, madrasas (for schooling), hospital, bath house(s), and public (soup) kitchen. 
Entrance into the complex. 
Courtyard. The fountains are outside. These were for washing and to symbolize cleanliness. 
The madrasas. 
Hospital layout. 
Mosque
Outpatient area 
Waiting area for visitors. I was trying to find the magazines. :-)


This was one of the most fascinating parts to me--the music therapy. These musicians would come in a few times a week and play special music depending on the ailment, disease, etc. They were playing some of the music. My favorite instrument is the ney, a haunting wooden flute that has a gorgeous mournful, yet peaceful sound. 


The kitchen for the hospital area. The other kitchen that provided food for the poor was in another area and would have been much larger. Some of these Ottoman soup kitchens would serve literally thousands each day. 
The madrasas for the medical students. 

This was the experimental medicine area. I'm wondering how this one worked out. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment