Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 18 Elites, Reform and the End of the Empire

Final day in Turkey. Flying out tomorrow. Spent the first two hours in class before heading out to one of the Princes Islands. Had a wonderful time with Dana, our Boston College professor, as we got lost from our small group and ended up at a little beach. Enjoyed some sunshine, a dip in the sea and great conversation. She has been so inspiring, as the most international person I have ever met. I am forever grateful for her and Barb's vision for our course and the perspective they have helped me gain.
Waiting for the ferry ride out to Princes Islands.  This is where the Sultan's family and elites would escape to in the summer.
Ready for a day at the beach.
Are these not the cutest Ottoman houses?
There are no automobiles on the islands.  Donkeys and horses will tote you around.
View from our walk to the beach Dana and I failed to find.  
We found another private beach close to this adorable neighborhood with a cute server.  It all turned out alright.  :-)
Enjoying my swim in the Mediterranean.
My tired feet...  I should have brought a pedometer along. I cannot imagine the thousands of steps taken. 

We enjoyed a wonderful sea bass dinner for our closing group dinner and then a group finale on the roof of the hotel with the view that has elevated us all during our time here. We each shared one or two or the most memorable experiences of this grand adventure, and I was struck by the connections I made with so many others. I have been on many teacher trips over the last several years, and this group  did not form cliques, was thoroughly engaged and thoughtful, while still being able to have a ton of fun. I believe I will be chuckling to myself for weeks over some of the inside jokes and hilarious moments we have shared in our quest to learn about the Ottomans. 
Good-bye Ramazan picnickers. Good-bye middle of the night sermons. 
Good-bye beautiful and unforgettable rooftop view of the Hagia Sophia. 
Is that some Turkish Delight I spy?  Getting ready for our closing exercise and group share. It felt like farewell therapy. 
Stacey, my new kindred spirit. Thanks for putting up with me for three weeks and keeping me in giggling fits. I felt like a college girl again. 
I'll miss you, Barb!  You are one of the smartest, and most fun women I know. I will miss hearing your stream of consciousness on the radio headset. 


It has been a joy. I am thrilled to go back home to my children and other life, but I will cherish this memory forever. 

Now, off to bed. Have to be at the airport at 4 a.m.!

No comments:

Post a Comment