Saturday, March 24, 2012

Teaching and Meeting with English Club Students

7:15 a.m. I am waiting with Tom to meet Hassan to walk to school again. Tom will be doing his lesson this morning, introducing the students to Maine and the lobstering industry. These are 3rd year English students. I will do my lesson Monday.

Regarding Saturday school, I really admire this country for making education such a priority. I believe it will truly pay off for them. I have seen only positive in the several classes and schools I have now been in. Theses classes are large (upwards of 30) and the students are engaged and participating. They are excellent note takers, and appear to understand a education is a good ticket in life.

I am thrilled to meet with the English club students today who give two hours on Saturday afternoon, which is not mandatory, to meet. I hear they are very excited to see us too.

What a fun day! Miriam showed me how to wrap my head. She was honored that I would want to do so. The scarf does not have the religious significance the veil has. Many girls war it optionally now and for fashion.

I also shared some huckleberry taffy with the club.
Students trying to figure out Tom's lobster measuring tool. No one got it. They did not even know what a lobster was, but now they do.
Meryam and I. She taught me how to wear the hijab. This girl is going places. What an excitement she has for learning and for the English language. She wants to teach it someday.
Sharing the Wyoming huckleberry candy with the English club students.

No comments:

Post a Comment