Monday, March 19, 2012

First Full Day: Rabat

Enjoying the capital city today. Thus far we have learned tidbits of the history, economy and values of Morocco. I was especially interested in the new constitutional changes since last year's Arab Spring. Morocco headed off protests with reforms for women's rights, although in practice they are slow coming.

Will post as the day goes, that goes for all my blogging. I am finding it is quicker to blog via my phone, using pics from it. So the great photos from my nice camera may wait until I return. One of the photos below is our hotel. The app for the iPhone does not allow for easy labeling of photos. It just sticks them at the bottom.

Went to a national director of education's office today. All had to be translated from French. In Morocco the largest part of their national budget goes to education. That is their future. Imagine what might happen if that were to occur in the U.S.!

Experienced currency exchange today and shopping in the market. What a cultural adventure! Bartering in dirhams and doing the math calculations in my head and trying to communicate all at once made my head spin a bit, but what a blast!
Then we had a 5 course meal at a fabulous restaurant. The main course was a chicken and phyllo type celebrational meal often served to mothers within days of giving birth. It is called rfsa.

It was after 10:00 when we got back to the hotel. I'm writing this shortly after so must finish. Time for bed! Still slightly jetlaggish. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment