Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Casablanca: Mostly Business, a Little Pleasure

Up early today and off to Casablanca on a much nicer bus than our adventure to Rabat from there on our first day. We observed to English lessons at a public then private school. They have some of the same issues we do in America with disparities between the two, but private are controlled by the government. They had a much nicer school than the public, and more technology, though, remarkably, the same high engagement among students. It was a grand occasion for them; it was obvious, and they certainly had to have selected prize teachers and classes. Nevertheless, it was inspiring. I watched a really outstanding example of a discussion on citizenship by the private school students in their 4th year English course. Their concern for others, awareness of world issues, and ability to construct an eloquent argument impressed me to the point of near tears. I cannot wait to be in a classroom teaching in the next couple of days.

The private school hosted a reception for us, and the students treated us like celebrities. They wanted photos and shared their tastes in American music (everything from Adele to Metallica).

Then we went to one of the largest mosques (though you cannot go in), which was along the coast, a beautiful place.

Finally, we walked along the coast, where I made friends with one of the locals, much to the chagrin of Ashley from New Mexico who was trying to hurry me along. He put his hat on me, so I am praying for no ramifications , and I gave him a little money. He spoke some English, and seemed pretty harmless. His smile was contagious. I could not resist the meeting.

Now I must wish my wonderful and talented daughter Avery a happy birthday. Avery, you make me proud every day, and I look forward to seeing the results of your creativity daily. Happy birthday. Time to stop and give you a call across the ocean...

No comments:

Post a Comment