Friday, March 23, 2012

Taroudant!

After a bus ride from Casablanca through the night we arrived a little after six a.m. yesterday morning in Taroudant. My teaching partner from the U.S. is Tom Gray from Maine. We make a good pair and are up for some adventure here.

We met with our host teacher Hassan Ait Man, got some sleep and then took a tour of the school we will be in during the next week. Again, everyone is so welcoming and happy to have us visit. The students who can speak English can barely contain their excitement to speak with Americans. It is a joy to see such enthusiasm and receive such a warm and hospitable welcome everywhere. We also got a brief tour of part of the city last night with Hassan, where we walked through part of the souk (market) and had another wonderful meal of pigeon tagine. I loved the Moroccan salad. The food here has honestly been exquisite, so flavorful and also healthy. Dessert can either be something with French influence or fresh fruit. For example, the other day it was a variety of fruit cut up and soaked in rose water. I'm not sure if I ever want to eat American food again.

Remember, I can only blog using the Blogger app, so I have to stick all the photos at the bottom of each blog and cannot write captions, so the walls you see are up to 900 years old. They surround the old part of Taroudant, and our hotel, the Salam Palais, is built into the walls. It was built in the early 1800s by the city's mayor who had 12 wives. It is a mixture of suites and walkways and gardens and is lovely. It is fragrant with honeysuckle.

1 comment:

  1. Try posting your photos first, then you can go back and click under them to add captions. I use blogger and I can do this. Not sure why it isn't letting you. You are a little more adventurous with your taste of food than I am. But I do think some of that looked tasty.

    ReplyDelete