Friday, March 23, 2012

School Obsevations and Planning, Along with Some Sightseeing

We started this morning walking to school with Hassan, a brief walk, 10-15 minutes. Have I mentioned how beautiful the weather is here, highs in the 80s? I'm trying to forget I will have to return to cold again.

At school we observed a high level math class with 32 highly engaged students, only six of which were young ladies. When I inquired about this I was told that many of the girls in this area do not take the math/science track, and also the high levels require 9-10 hours of class a week, which requires students to be here more. Because students either ride bicycles or walk here from within the city, and there is no busing from the surrounding area, they have a boarding school during the week, but this school's is only for boys. Therefore, the girls are either living close, or their parents find a way to get them here. Generally though, I see girls very involved and highly engaged, often being the class leaders. Morocco's recent Family Code has really improved women's rights, and practically eliminated polygamy.

Hassan, Tom and I then observed a chemistry class, freshman level, and then did some planning for our lessons. I have a small break now before lunch, and then we are going on a carriage ride to the tannery (leather bag on my agenda) and more sightseeing.

We are back from another day of fun and learning. The carriage ride to the tannery was fun after our lunch of couscous and vegetables. Hassan did not even have to interpret, as a pretty good English speaker gave us a tour. It was a totally authentic and traditional process, and I purchased a hand-crafted red purse I will enjoy for years.

Hassan then took us to the souk again where he helped us haggle, explaining to the vendors that they should treat us like his family and not tourists. I believe he saved us some money at the silver shop, something this region is known for and in a few other places.

One of the most interesting things was the shop that showed how they make argan oil, a very effort intensive process where the nuts have to first be hulled (often by goats--you can see this by googling Taroudant and seeing the goats actually climbing the argan trees to eat the nuts--then you can imagine what happens). Then they have to be cracked to get the white seed out of the nut (no mechanical way to do this part) and then they are roasted (for cooking) or raw (for cosmetics) and ground by a person (usually women) using the wheel you see.

It is very expensive oil. They say it will take years off your face, so how many bottles should I buy? :-)

I will post pics soon. Having sketchy Internet, so will try later.

>
A science class we observed (thanks to Hassan for translation).
The Turkish style of the hijab. I bought one of these pieces.
Couscous with vegetables and beef
The traditional grinding of the argan seeds. After this the paste will be kneaded and the oil separated. The balls remaining (see them on the left?) will then be fed back to the goats.
Tom and Hassan at the tannery. These sheets are ready for softening.
It took me forever to crack one nut. I would be fired. In reality, I was worried about hurting my fingers. I saw the fingers of some women doing this later in the week, and I know why I was worried.
The tannery
Such beautiful colors and scents

2 comments:

  1. hello how are you ? i am mohamed from sidi ou sidi high school,so how do you find our city,culture,food and our high school ?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything here is wonderful! Gracious people, delicious food, colorful surroundings! It has all bee so fun to experience.

      Delete