Tuesday, July 25, 2023

July 21 A free day to explore Beautiful Tashkent


July 21

We all loved our free day in Tashkent. Beth from Kentucky and I went on a 2 mile round trip walk to a beautiful Russian Orthodox Church, the Holy Assumption Church. Unfortunately, no photos or recordings were allowed in the church, but there were many worshipers there, and a live choir in the balcony was singing a cappella. It was absolutely gorgeous and inspiring, and we listened for a time before leaving. I found these wonderful cats there who seemed to be adopted, and one even had a special place in the gift shop. 









On one of the exterior buildings, there is a mosaic of the Romanov family being executed. This church was built during Soviet times, even though the Soviets discouraged religion. 



Then Beth, Tina, Vina and I took a taxi to the Minor Mosque, which does not mean lesser but minor for minaret. It is a beautiful mosque, but we could not see the inside because it was just a couple of hours before the Friday prayers and services, which they were preparing for. This is why all the carpets were being readied. 




The ladies and I walked through a pretty part of the city to eat at a famous plov place and wandered through a Japanese Garden we found on the map as a slight detour. Tashkent is a lovely city with many thoughtful green spaces. 









The plov (pilaf) center was a highlight. We watched how it was made with the onions and vegetables in huge vats, separate from cooking the meat and rice. We also saw the bread going on and out of the ovens. You sit down and order from a couple of different flavors, which are rotated. We all had a mix of beef and lamb and our own bowls of delicious fresh tomatoes and onions with herbs and fresh bread. We also had tea, and all that food you can see in the photo cost is each $4.06 in US equivalent. It was the best meal I’ve ever had for that price in my life. 












We took a break from the heat in the afternoon, as it is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit each day. I elected to get a “sports massage” at the hotel, from a female Russian masseur, and I joked that she was either punishing me for my nation’s sins, or I just was not used to the intensity of Russian sports massage, because I am considerably sore across the muscles she tenderized. But I did feel she worked out some knots in my back, and much of it felt wonderful. It cost about half what I would pay at home. 


Vina, Tina and I later went to the largest mall in the city and mostly curiously walked around without purchasing more than a boba tea. Then we met Beth for a small bite to eat later that night and talked of our travels and this one. These ladies have become friends, and I have enjoyed their company. 






No comments:

Post a Comment