Sunday, July 16, 2017

Wandering in Jerusalem

Sunday July 16

My two new friends Brenda and Alexa (mother and daughter) and I met for breakfast at the hotel and planned a walking tour of things recommended by our guide that we wouldn't see on the tour, which officially begins tomorrow. 

My first middle eastern breakfast of the trip. I love this style of eating. The yogurt here is the best I've ever had. 

We decided to explore a market and then go to the first train station. On our journey, we figured we would run into some things, which, of course happened. 


The signs in many places are in Hebrew, Arabic and English. Our hotel is near the Muslim Quarter of the Old City, which has the Temple Mount and the Al Aqusa Mosque compound. Sadly, Friday some young Palestinians shot and killed two Israeli police officers, disregarding a taboo of weapons at the holy site. They then killed themselves. The Temple Mount area is now closed off, and I hope will be opened before we leave. There is a lot of security and armed police all around this area, and people say less people because of it. Keep scrolling for some photos. 

View of typical Jerusalem street. 

Old hospital built in 1880s under the Ottomans. (I'm getting to see this part of my studies from four years ago with the NEH in Turkey)







Various market photos. I love going to these so much! The cake-like mounds above are halva, which is sort of a dry nougat of different flavors of sweet goodness. I haven't had it here yet, but I loved it in Turkey. 

You can see the orthodox Jewish man coming up the street in the distance. We walked through an area where many men were carrying prayer shawl bags, probably to a nearby synagogue. 

I'm crazy over the aromas in the Middle East. So many spice shops and delicious smells. 

My new friends, Barbara and Alexa in a lovely street filled with art, ceramic, and other neat shops. 



So charming!

As expected, much named after King David here. 


The first train station. This connected to the Hijaz railway of the East. It was taken over and expanded during the British Mandate after WWI. 

We had the most AMAZING mint lemonade here I've ever had. I now have a new way to try my mint lemonade I have made differently from my mint in my garden. 


Looking across at the Old City. Will be there tomorrow and the next. 

One of the more exclusive areas of Jerusalem, thisnhad designer shops. 

These old street stones are slick from much wear. 

Upon returning to our hotel close to noon, these men were praying and blocking the exit where armed Israeli guards were checking IDs before allowing entrance to the Old City area of the Temple Mount and Dome of the Rock. Friday, Palestinian terrorists somehow got in guns and killed two Israeli police officers. Israel shut down access, which is now being protested by some Muslims. We hear it will be open again tomorrow, so we will be able walk around the area as well. 

The BYU Jerusalem Center is on the top left. I had the afternoon free still so took a walk to get a good photo. I knew I couldn't get in today (they only have a few times for 30 minute tours Wednesdays through Friday's), but I walked up by the entrance and looked out from where it sits on the Mount of Olives across at the Dome of the Rock (see gold domed building below). I think I was a little crazy to take an hour walk in 94 degree heat, up and down hills, but I still enjoyed it. I'm so excited for these two adventurous weeks of learning and culture ahead of me. 



BYU Jerusalem Center from below. 

Met my group in our first official overview meeting, and most of us went to dinner at a Palestinian restaurant with a large and diverse menu. I shared this giant classic Palestinian dish, makloobah, with Vanessa from Germany. It was roasted lamb with cauliflower and carrots over a saffron rice. Too much for both of us to eat. I forgot to snap the photo before we took it apart so the photo below has the lamb. It was served with a yogurt sauce (found with slight variance across the region). l love the cuisine so much! 



More to come tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment